Why your feet need a massage
We usually don’t think about our feet. Until they hurt. We tend to take them for granted, but like other parts of our body they can get tired, overused, sore, and in need of some attention.
When they start to hurt it can lead to many other problems.
When your feet hurt you don’t want to do much of anything. You just want to stay off of them. Your body likes to move, though. And your brain functions better when you are active. So foot pain can quickly lead to other issues.
Foot pain can cause other pain in your body. If your foot hurts, you change the way you stand, walk, and move. Those changes affect your legs. When your legs hurt, you make more changes in what you do, which affects your hips, then your back, then your neck.
Most of us take our feet for granted, yet when you stop and think about it we use our feet in nearly everything we do. Such as:
- Working on hard floors such as concrete
- At home we walk around to take care of our place, our family, and our belongings.
- We shop, stand chatting with a friend, stand in lines, and walk around doing errands.
- We cook; do laundry, clean and put things away. You may make multiple trips up and down stairs every day.
- Yard work and home maintenance keeps us on our feet as well.
- Feet get injured when we kick things out of the way or stomp your feet to let out some frustration.
- If you enjoy sports you use your feet to run, jump, and kick. Your feet take a real pounding since they support all your body weight along with the extra force from the exertion.
- Even fun activities such as yoga and fitness classes, hiking, climbing, kickboxing, and dance – and hauling all of your equipment around.
- Your feet have things dropped on them and they get stepped on. You step on unexpected things such as rocks, tools, or toys (Lego!).
- Wearing or squeezing into uncomfortable shoes.
…. the list goes on
All of your leg joints are all affected by your feet. Joints are under pressure from muscles and bones pulling and twisting on them. Relieving foot pain allows your muscles and joints to be in their proper positions and with less pressure on them you feel better.
Massage can help with Plantar Fasciitis, heel pain, and other common foot pain. Most muscles that move your foot start in your calf, so relieving foot pain can also reduce calf pain too.
Your feet do a lot for you. Give them some attention with a massage so you can keep doing what you want.