There are many kinds of massage therapists around and many different styles of treatments and techniques, clinic setups and personalities.
So how do you pick a massage therapist when many list a short essay on the conditions they treat and education they have? And it’s a risk to drop your hard-earned cash on a massage, not knowing if that therapist is right for.
Am I the therapist for you? Whether you are looking for a treatment for pain or a general maintenance massage there a a few things to consider.
First of all, my passion is in treating people’s pain, especially headaches/migraines and hip/back pain. I also love to help people to function better, so if you feel something is missing or you aren’t performing as well as would like at your chosen activity, I would love to help you achieve better functionality.
And to help you figure out if I could be the right massage therapist for you, I’ve compiled a list of my wills and won’ts before and during a treatment.
- I will ask you how you are feeling, and what you need this day.
- I will listen to your concerns and do my best to provide the treatment you request.
- I will assess your pain and/or injury to tailor your session to your needs
- I will make the room cooler or warmer or change the music at your request.
- I will give you the full allotted time. (Unless you’re late. That’s on you.)
- I will adjust my pressure if I notice that you’re tensing up or flinching, and I’ll check in to be sure I’m not hurting you.
- I will refer you to another practitioner if I think I can’t help you.
- I will probably trip over my rolling stool or bump into a wall. But after 11 years of practice, I’m pretty graceful about it, so you may not notice.
- I will check if you have allergies to certain oils, creams or balms.
- I will not clear your chakras or cleanse your aura.
- I will not tell you that you have ‘knots’ and proceed to beat you up.
- I will not play music with water noises or crickets or birds chirping. (Unless you bring it in and ask me to. Then it’s cool).
- I will not use any kind of scent without your prior approval.
- I will not insist on seeing you 3 times a week for the next 6 months.
I hope this answers some fears or doubts about receiving a massage. If you have any queries please don’t hesitate to contact me.